Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition
Board & Advisors, 10/25/10
Meeting Location: Erika Lindemann Home
Wilson Hubbell, Vice President
Erika Lindemann, Secretary
David Bourgeois, Treasurer
Michael Chiacos, Director
Kent Epperson, Advisor, SBCAG Traffic Solutions
Matt Dobberteen, Advisor,
Dru van Hengel, Advisor, City of Santa Barbara
Ed France, Staff (Executive Director)
Robert Caiza, SBBIKE member
Ralph Fertig, President
Byron Beck, Director
Judy Keim, Director,
≈ Call to Order: Meeting commenced at 7:10 pm
≈ Approval of Minutes: (everyone): Postponed until Nov. meeting for quorum
≈ News from Executive Directorundefined Ed
COAST’s Barry Seigel award going to Ralph, but he’ll be in Mexico. Board of Directors will be there to celebrate and perhaps do a video. Nov. 4th, (Next Thur. before Bike Moves?) Propose to also celebrate Ralph at Bike Celebration in May. And before that...task to events committee.
Santa Barbara Century: SBBIKE and Africa Sports Relief, funds designated to Bici Centro (not Bike Coalition) split profit with Africa Sports...no sense of what costs are but entry fee was around $65 a person, so about $60K taken in..1/3 covers expenses about 20K for us?? Whatever comes together, it’s good stuff. First time interacted with a ton of roadies and they acknowledged who we were. Long term vision with Byron helping with introductions and this being a long term relationship that has paid through...Coalition is going to need to be very strategic in offering assistance for next year if we want to be beneficiaries. With thank you note we could suggest other ways we could help out in 2011 (like more volunteering, more support at wrap-up, closing event.) Matt thinks we could use some advice on how to properly and professionally handle the follow up to thank them for this opportunity and to properly poisition ourselves for next year and future.
Action Item:Dru to contact Scott Reid, Michael, CEC. Kalon and Bill led the Bike Drive with some Montecito churches. Kalon represented Bici Centro, they had two kids bike strolled down aisle during service to make the pitch to donate kids bikes.
Action Item (Ed, Byron, Dave): Who do we include in this next phase of relationship building to broaden the impact. Shift this to be more of a Bike Coalition broad vision.
Anecdote from Bill (told by Dave B): Kalon went to a Bike Coalition meeting about a week after he visited Bici Centro. Ed thinks the meeting at the Bike Coalition further reinforced the separation..Bill has been a bike coalition for years, he said he never really saw Bici Centro being front and center, but more tangential to the activities of SBBIKE.
Patagonia connection at SB Outfitters: “Secret Santa” at Patagonia, designated that the proceeds will go to the Bike Coalition for these “Advocate Shoes”. We can help sell a lot of shoes. Nov. 1st to 15th...what’s appropriate level of effort? Sending email out to SBBIKE...website/Facebook. Action Item: Erika, Ed Kent to take. Dru might be able to help w/ figuring out who Secret Santa is at Paty.
≈ Executive Committee
· Elections: Review of elections process coming up on Nov. 2nd. Members can either vote at membership meeting or mail in ballot from Quick Release. Can vote for all 11 candidates.
o REMINDER: Dru, Kent (take from TS website, Matt, Dave, Byron (and staff bios--Ed, Christine and paid Bici staff) still need to be posted before we send out final reminder email!
· Update (Matt): Education Coordinator appeal letterundefinedin draft form. Matt’s vision is this is going out to our personal friends and connections (our address book). Next steps and request for help. Dave, Erika, Dru are happy to help edit, get a draft for board review before next board meeting.
≈ Events Committee – Wilson & everyone
● Update: Ride on the Wild Side, SB Century, 10/25 Events Committee meeting
● Event Committee: Last Monday of the month, evening events. CycleMAYnia nuts and bolts meeting will be separate.
≈ Communications/Advocacy/Membership – Ed/Michael
· Update (Ed, Dave, Michael): Plans for new membership benefits (membership cards, outreach, etc) and standardized communication with new members.
o Everyone acknowledges that this will improve our systems, Member retention system.
o BikePitsburg sends out about 2-3 letters to inactive members reminding them about that opportuntiy. Check out that model.
o What is the threshold for committee to spend before it needs board review? Next board meeting to review big bad budget so that each committee has a budget they can work within withougt needing board approval.
o Create deadline for how we handle membership/rates/etc. effective Jan 2011. Formal mailing to all members (including current members)
o Idea of doing formal announcment after elections with “Welcome to the New Coalition”
o Revamp of membership meeting that could be quarterly? Get feedback from other coalitions about what they do for membership meetings
· Discussion (Wilson and all): Self Determination/Advocacy/Representation in North County communities.
o This item was postponed until next month
≈ Bici Centro Committee: Ed
· Open Shop/Learn Your Bike update
≈ Education Committee: Ed, everyone
Discussion/Decision: Walk & RollundefinedKent. Kent to present definitions around our current options for involvement with Walk & Roll.
a) Partner = We (the Bike Coalition) support the walk and roll effort and want to be involved in how it is shaped and implemented. As part of this partnership, we decide which tasks and have responsibilities we can bring to the table all or some of which are paid for out of a Walk and Roll program budget.
b) Coalition = We all show up for a meeting periodically and report on our overlapping projects, such is the case with the SR2S Coalition.
c) Contractor = We (the Bike Coalition) are paid for services rendered. We are not involved in the shaping of the program but are merely a hired gun to perform a specific task.
Kent: Possibly a perception that W&R is further along than it actually is...Kent emphasized that the program is still very much in the R&D phase (see handout)
TS Feels they need the expertise of the Coalition to help shape this project. Needs to be supported funding for Coalition activities. TS has expanded budget because they have seen the value that the Coalition can bring. Wants ideas/brainstorm/approach as a collaborative effort. Decisions can be made collaboratively. Contractor status would demean the value of what the Coalition has to offer and wouldn’t benefit the Coalition’s outreach into schools the same way. SB Car Free is a great model for what this could look like. Michael thinks this is core to the Coalition’s mission and a great way for us to influence new cyclists. Coalition staff and input. Kent agrees with everything thats been said around the four E, not just encouragement. Kent has heard reservations from folks that TS and CEC would develop a program and then walk away. This isn’t their intention. Kent would like to continue to have the Coalition be a partner.
Robert thinks we can’t back out of a partnership. Commit now or don’t. Dru think that it’s better to evolve into a parntership, rather than back out of it.
Hard for Kent to imagine this to evolve without the Coalition involved.
Ed: budgeting questionundefinedwhat can we afford to do? Best funded program in education that we have right now is at the middle school program. We have never budgeted Sr2S or Walk and Roll, etc. We are working to not commit to things before we know our ability to commit.
≈ Finance Committee (FC)undefined Ed/FC Finance update
≈ Scheduling/Event Commitments: Commitments for upcoming events.
· Next Board meeting: 11/30. Dave B. will host a Pot Luck dinner before-hand to welcome new Board members
· Other events?
≈ Other Topics
Meeting adjourned at 9:18 pm, Minutes submitted by Erika Lindemann on 11/14/2010