May 8th- June 26th, 2012
7-9pm (8 Tuesdays)
Week 1: Basic Repairs, diagnosis, tools...
Maintenance (weekly, monthly, yearly).
Tools for home bicycle repair, bike parts...
Student handout (week 1)
Week 2: Tires, rims, fixing flats...
Student handout (week 2)
- Types of tubes, tires, rims
- Rim Wear and damage
- Seating a tire
Week 3: Hubs, Bearings, Bottom bracket...
Student handout (week 3)
- How hubs work and how they wear
- Bearings: hubs, freewheel, headset, bottom bracket, pedals
- Replace bearings: Dis-assembly & Reassembly
Week 4: Wheels & how to true
Student handout (week 4)
- How wheels work and how they wear
- Types of spoke patterns and ‘aero’ wheels
- Using a truing stand to heal rim ‘kicks’
- Replace a broken spoke
Week 5: Power! Get down with the Drive Train
Student handout (week 5)
- Torque As a concept
- Freewheels, Cassettes & Cogs
- Chains and Cogs; gear ratios
- Cranks and Chain rings
- Replace a "stretched" chain
Week 6: Shifters and Derailleurs
Student handout (week 6)
- Why Derail?
- Types of set-ups
- Derailleur housing runs & torque
- How they work, how to adjust
Week 7: Brakes!!! Faster Bikes, Quicker Stops
Student handout (week 7)
- Brake cable housing runs & torque
- Ways to Stop – Types of brakes
- Adjusting Brakes
Week 8: Bike Fit, Ergonomics, Control & Speed
How well does your bike fit you? How to choose different types of bikes, fits & styles? Do you know the crucial adjustments for your reach, leg extension, and pedal stroke?
- Sizing bike frames
- Bike Fit & related adjustments
Please bring your bike for the last class.
Student handout (week 8)
Evaluation form for LearnYourBike
Space is limited and pre-paid registration is required to secure a spot in the class. Invite a friend!
Questions: contact Christine: 805 699 6301